Chinese ambassador asks Australia to step up search for 39 people on capsized boat | World news

China’s ambassador on Thursday asked Australian authorities to step up efforts to find survivors in the Indian Ocean search. 39 missing from capsized Chinese fishing boat.


Chinese Ambassador to Australia Xiao Qian spoke to reporters at the Chinese Embassy in Canberra. Xiao on Thursday asked Australian authorities to step up efforts to find survivors in the Indian Ocean search for 39 people missing from a capsized Chinese fishing boat.(AP)



Australia’s ambassador to Australia, Xiao Qian, said the Australian Commission had already sent four aircraft and three ships to search the area in the center of the Indian Ocean.

No survivors or lifeboats were found.

Xiao said China wanted to coordinate with „friendly countries” including Australia, Indonesia, Sri Lanka and the Maldives in search and rescue operations following Tuesday’s capsize. The overturned hull was found Tuesday off the cargo ship about 5,000 kilometers (3,100 miles) northwest of Australia’s west coast city of Perth, the Australian Maritime Safety Commission, the search coordinator, said.

The missing group includes 17 from China, 17 from Indonesia and five from the Philippines, Chinese officials said.

„We want them to send more planes, more ships and more personnel,” Xiao told reporters, referring to Australian officials. „We want our Australian colleagues to coordinate with other international or foreign ships or vessels in the area … to assist in search and rescue to save as many lives as possible.”



On Wednesday, Chinese President Xi Jinping and Premier Li Keqiang ordered Chinese diplomats and the ministries of agriculture and transport to help search for survivors.

Australia, Indonesia and the Philippines have also expressed interest in joining the search, and merchant and fishing vessels in the area searched for survivors on Wednesday.

The search authority did not immediately respond to a request Thursday for an update on the search and rescue operation.

Transport Minister Catherine King, who is responsible for the search authority, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

There was no word on the cause of the overturn.

The vessel Lu Peng Yuan Yu 028 is owned by Penglai Jinglu Fishery Co., based in the east coast province of Shandong. According to reports, operated by Ltd. Another Chinese vessel, Lu Peng Yuan Yu 018, is operating close to the overturned hull, according to Indonesian authorities, and has been asked to conduct a phased search for survivors.



READ  China as a Regional Hegemon in the South China Sea - OpEd - Eurasia Review

Dodaj komentarz

Twój adres e-mail nie zostanie opublikowany. Wymagane pola są oznaczone *